Website creation basics
I often hear “I know nothing about having a website” and get asked “What do I need to do to have a website?”
You need the following:
1) Get a website name (called domain name)
2) Get website hosting (called Hosting)
3) Build website pages (called web pages)
Example of a home phone
1) Phone number = Website name = Domain name
Just like a home telephone number that is unique to your home address.
A domain name (website name) is unique to your website on the internet address.
2) Home = Website Hosting = Hosting
Web Hosting is the physical home of your website. This is where the web pages are put; including text, images and files. Also this is where your emails are kept.
3) Furniture = Website pages = Web pages
Web pages are like furniture of the home. That is where the text and images get laid out in a special design and decoration. Those pages physically reside (loaded and saved) on the web host server (Hosting).
So how does the internet work?
Go to your computer
Open an internet browser, like [Internet Explorer], [Chrome], [Firefox] or [Safari]
Type a website name in the address area
This is what happens when you make such request
- Like dialing a home phone number
- The call goes to that home address
- when someone answers the call from that home
- This is when your website appears to you in the browser
- So every time you go to a website; it is like making a call to a home phone
- In the internet case, that is making a request to that website host server to give you access to the web pages for that site
Few things that you may want to know:
Registering a domain name:
- Pick a domain name (website name) that represents what you want to load on the internet like (www.my_business_name.com)
- You would use a “REGISTRAR” to do the registration of that name
- Some famous registrars are:
- Godaddy.com, register.com, networksolutions.com, netfirm.com, tucows.com, etc
- Or your website developer (like s2h) can do that.
- Make sure that you own the domain name i.e. it is registered in your name
- Make sure that you get all information to that domain name registration and have access to it (user name and password)
- You would need to find a web hosting company
- Or use s2hweb.com for any kind of services
- There are sites and environments that allow you to develop your own website. But if you are a novice that is easier said than done. You would need a web developer to do that. s2h has a great reputation for doing the task of creating a website a smooth and straight forward exercise. We take the pain and the mystery out it and help you put your message out on the internet. Even help you write the content and find the right images.
If you have any comment or question! Do not hesitate to contact me and I will be too glad to reply in a timely fashion.
You can use the contact form or any of the information in the contact us page, just click here